FireCat! The Legend of Amazon Sage©

Sage is a quirky girl who always loved wild animals, funny people, adventure and indigenous music. She still does.


What no one knows is that every night in her dreams, Sage

transforms into a woman of power and wisdom, called

Amazon Sage.

Unlimited by the confines of newtonian physics, she is fierce and full of compassion, traveling where ever she is needed to help relieve suffering in the world.

Only problem is,

Amazon Sage© only lives while Sage is dreaming.

Once Sage awakens, Amazon Sage © disappears. These blogs are written by Sage, telling what happens in this most secret life...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Yesterday was a day of mourning..."

Good morning, friends. My neighbor Erik, died the night before last but he will not be having a funeral. There will probably not even be a memorial service.  Almost no one even came around to see him in his last days. Yet he was one of the nicest guys I ever met. When my family moved next door to him last year, it was he who made me feel most welcome. I was worried about whether my two little dogs would bother him since they liked to “talk” loudly, when anybody came to the door. In a most kind way, Erik reassured me that they were no problem; that he too had a dog until she passed away about a year before.
Erik was not an an old man and many would wonder why it was his time to go.  The Erik I knew wanted to live. From the time I met him, he continued to undergo painful, seemingly endless procedures; surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation to try to rid his body of the terrible cancer that invaded it. He had to give up his car but he still tried to take walks until his exhaustion was so great that he once remarked with embarrassment, “I’m in bed about 22 hours of every day...” Others tried to get him to live somewhere where he would be better cared for, anywhere but the three story home he loved so much. But he refused to be treated like an invalid. Yes, Erik wanted to live... Unfortunately, he wanted to smoke more.
You see, Erik was one of those people who was sure it wouldn’t happen to him: lung cancer, that is. You know the type: “I started as a kid, and I’ve never been sick a day in my life” and “smoking is one of my few pleasures” or worse yet, “I was born to smoke.” I sometimes wonder why people who are heading down a direct path to self destruction cannot see that the only reason anybody says anything to them about it, is because they actually care. Unfortunately, I did not know Erik long enough to make a difference in his smoking and I can only pray that I made some small difference in his life, through the occasional chats and good wishes that we shared. I will certainly miss him.
The night he died, even though he’d been in the hospital for a few days, I held out hope he would soon be back home. But I already knew something was terribly wrong when Amazon Sage stayed with me, in my dreams; guiding me from one painful experience to another. It was as if I was in the body of a person who was dying. I saw pure water turn into black liquid draining from faucets and running down the street; as if the life force itself, was draining out.  In the same dream my deceased father, who always comes around when I am dealing with something painful,  set an exquisite table of food and drink, as if to help someone transition to the other side. I knew then, that somebody close to me was dying. 
So for all you smokers out there, and chewers, and pipe or cigar suckers...Why quit? Because nicotene addicts can and do die young. But more importantly, because when you choose to take your own life in that way, others who know you suffer as well. After all, we are all in this world together. Please check it out, my friends: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/